From 2036 onwards, the municipality of Korneuburg wants to be energy-self-sufficient and carbon-neutral. In order to follow up on its “Korneuburg 2036” vision statement and master plan with concerted measures, a demonstration project is to show that energy-efficiency and energy-sufficiency measures can be definitely reconciled with socially-compatible, affordable housing and living space as well as with eco-efficient mobility.
In the framework of the project, the municipality of Korneuburg intends to
- Rehabilitate two municipality-owned residential buildings,
- Densify the property by way of superstructures and annexes and equip the buildings with energy-generating areas,
- Create a mobility hub in the area of the rehabilitated objects and thus create alternatives to the use of private cars.
In this prototype housing scheme, affordable small apartments are to be provided to young tenants in a targeted manner. As accompanying measures,
- Communications programs are to reconcile measures and needs of existing and new tenants on a level-playing field with experts.
- Tenants and other citizens will be informed of and mobilized for the objective of the energy-self-sufficiency of Korneuburg
- Property developers are involved in the process which is monitored by social scientists.
These exemplary measures and further best practice examples shall ultimately be evaluated and documented in a database in such a way as to make models and stimuli for comparable projects available to Korneuburg and other towns and to show the progress with regard to the town’s ambitious objectives in terms of energy and CO2-saving.
The innovation content consists mainly in the combination of high-quality technical solutions, some of which have a multifunctional effect, and the social qualities that are indispensable for a sustainable implementation of the goal of energy autonomy.
In order to become energy-neutral in the area of mobility as well, the project relies on the switch from private cars to the city's multimodal mobility offer.
Results and findings
Two buildings that are to be rehabilitated in an exemplary fashion, housing offer for young people, informed and motivated existing and new tenants, enhanced local traffic, documented progress towards achieving the Korneuburg 2036 Vision Statement and Master Plan, and a guidance prepared with the cooperation of property developers which is to serve as a tangible example for further projects.